Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Carols

'Tis the season to be jolly.

Since before Thanksgiving there's been a radio station that's been playing Christmas music 24/7.  I guess they've been trying to get everyone in the Holiday spirit a little early.  

It got me to thinking.  Your music tastes change as you grow.  

One of my favorite Christmas carols as a young child was 'Joy To The World'.  Could be the influence of the Lutheran school I attended as a youngster.  But what child can't start smiling at the boisterous chorus?  Of course I liked the normal fun Christmas songs, but that song really sticks out for me.

As a teenager I was in our church choir.  I remember trading off midnight services and morning services with some of the other choirs that the church had.  Sadly that choir is no longer in existence.  The choir director has passed on.  But one of my favorites to sing was 'Silent Night'.  Sometimes we even sang it in German.  And for some reason even singing 'Stille Nacht' gave me chills.

As an adult I'm not as active in the church thing.  I still love the same songs that I did as a child and teenager.  They still give me shivers.  Though I've noticed as of late that 'Santa Baby' seems to catch me every time I turn on the radio.  I always thought it was sung by Cyndi Lauper, but apparently it was sung by Madonna.  Also 'I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas'.  Something about the song makes me smile.

So what's you're favorite Christmas song?  Religious or secular.

-Michelle

1 comment:

JA3 said...

Not individual carols, but two albums/CDs/collections that make it feel like Christmas for me, both from childhood memories.

First, the soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Immediately makes me feel like I'm 8 all over again, although it is missing one important "song."

Second, and perhaps more obscure, "A Festival of Carols in Brass," from the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble circa 1967. When Dad would put that on his reel-to-reel deck, the kids knew it was officially Christmas.

It's chock-full of the most fantastic interpretations of every favorite carol you care to name, and still available on CD and MP3 at Amazon and iTunes -- according to their review, it hasn't gone out of print in the 40 years since it was released. I highly recommend it.

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.