Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mariner's Museum

Ring the bell!
So during our Yorktown Battlefield tour we decided it was just too beautiful to head home.  So we decided to head to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News.

Restoration in progress
Neither one of us had been to it before and I had heard a lot of great things about it.

They have pieces of the USS Monitor there that they are restoring.  How cool is that?  You can actually see the restoration in progress with explanations.

Which I actually found pretty cool.  I'm a geek.  I admit it.

I'm starting to get excited about history.

Can you find me?
They have a really good replica of the USS Monitor.  You can walk aboard to get a feel for the size.  You can also walk below it to see the propeller and hull.
Ship Outline
I thought it was pretty cool.

 They have a really good set up of displays.  The outline of how the ship looked is really neat to look at.  I was glad to get a shot.  I'm never sure with the lighting that they had.  It was kind of dark and I wasn't sure if the outline would truly show up.

But I think the definition on this is really good.
Replica of interior of turret

Kinda creepy when you think about it.

That's how it looked when they came across it.

Gives me chills just thinking about it.

 All in all it is SO worth the price of admission.





No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.