Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Home Ownership

As you may or may not know I've been without a computer for a bit.  Jim and I now share a laptop, which makes for some interesting moments.  So I really haven't been doing much on the blogs.

And I do have something to share!  As of the 18th we became home owners!!  For the first time EVER!  Hooray!  We never purchased a home before because we weren't sure of where we'd be since Jim's military.  But we've been calling Norfolk home for so long that we decided to put down roots.

It was a long drawn out and painful process for us.  Much harder than I sure it really should be.  Let me tell you about our pain filled house hunting expedition.  I won't name names because that might seem mean of me.  Even though I have been known to be quite hateful at times.  I'm trying to be a better person.  And I believe karma will come back and bite them in the butt later.  :-)

We chose a bank close by instead of our Internet bank because we wanted human interaction and lots of help since this was our first time buying a home.  People would be helpful right?  Wrong!  We would have been better off with the Internet bank.  Apparently this branch has a LOT of issues.  Our first loan officer is no longer with that bank and apparently he didn't file much of our paperwork.  We think he was fired, but aren't positive.  I was constantly bothering them asking if there was anything we needed to do and was told no.  We were pre-approved and went house hunting.  Finally we found a house.  I'm not even going in to that!

Two weeks before closing they hand me a stack of paperwork (I'm not exaggerating here it was 35 plus pages) and tell me to fill this out and send me on my merry.  No instructions or explanations.  WTF!  We went in Saturday for some help.  Jim stormed out very irate.  He was ready to call it quits with this bank.  We found out the rate hadn't even been locked in like we'd been told.  After I got things straightened out or so I thought we FedExed everything to the processor in Florida.  

So I called Monday morning saying if they needed anything to let me know before noon so Jim could get to work on getting things.  I get a call back at nearly 4 telling me things are missing.  Things that they told me on Saturday I didn't need.  And then they had the audacity to lie to me and say that they told me on Saturday they needed it.  I went there immediately with what I could.

I asked them to please be sure to get everything to my closing agent before the end of business day on Friday.  We are now one week away from closing on this house.  And this person (I'm trying really hard not to call names here) had the nerve to say that they would as long as we turned everything in on time.  I stared at her in shock for a moment and then responded that as long as they didn't spring anything new on us they would get all their stuff.  Ugh!  She was lucky I was holding a small child at the time or I might have slugged her.

Things did not run smoothly to say the least, but it finally happened and we're home owners.  Thank God!

-Michelle

No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.