Thursday, August 28, 2008

How The Better Half Lived

Today my mother-in-law and I went to Beechwood.  Well after the little girl I babysit went home and we had lunch with Jim and Ruth.  Beechwood is one of the many mansions here in Newport.  Newport was the place to summer for the upper crust.

I've done this tour before, but was delighted to discover that they don't have the same person constantly giving the tour.  It's done by actors who treat you like guests who have stepped back in time and they portray the family.  When I took my parents we were given the tour by the youngest Astor's daughter.  And heard some of the family kind of gossip things.

This time we were given the tour by the gentleman portraying a bachelor cousin.  It was interesting in its own right and I heard some different things on each tour.  So I thought it was cool.  I think a mansion tour is definitely something that should be done here.  Linda was surprised at how small it seemed.  We may try to do another tour just for size comparison.  I've heard the Breakers are the largest. 

Afterwards we went to Cold Fusion for some gelato.  Another thing that I thought would be interesting for Linda to get to try while here.  Hey while on vacation I think you should always try new things.  She had Passion Fruit and Caramel in a waffle cone.  I had the Raspberry Cranberry Hibiscus in a sugar cone.  I think I definitely like their fruit flavors better than the chocolates.

-Michelle

No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.