Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Heart of Virginia Wine Trail

So my brother Tim and I decided to do the Heart of Virginia Wine Trail on Sunday. There are only four so it's easy to do on a Sunday afternoon.

Our first stop was James River Cellar Winery. We did enjoy this winery. It has a lovely patio and some nice wines. They had a nice gift shop as well and we were finally able to find matching tee shirts in our sizes.

We even bought two of the Vino Frappes. One was red and one was white as you can see. They even sold the mixes in their gift shop. So of course we bought some. The wine tasting itself wasn't that informative.

So we sat out on their patio sipping the vino frappes. We switched halfway so the other person could try the other drink. However, I liked the white better.

The next stop on our trail was Grayhaven.

Most of the wines here are done in a South American style. Not something I'm majorly in to. The winemaker actually did the tasting. I think I would have learned a LOT more if it wasn't for the girl at the bar who thought she was a wine expert and a photography expert. I would have paid good money for her to shut up! Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool. Than to open it and remove all doubt.

However I would have loved to hear the winemaker talk more. Loved the accent! Plus I think I could have learned lots more.

Our next stop on the trail was Cooper Vineyard. I was actually surprised at how small it was.

We had to wait to do a tasting here as well. The tasting room is quite small and really can't hold many people. So while we waited I got a close up pictures of the grapes on the vine.

They're putting nets over their vines because the grapes are ripening and they want to keep the birds and other animals away from them.

The wines are nice and we did walk away with a number of the wines.

The last stop on our trail was Lake Anna Winery. We were able to taste their wines before they closed for the day. I didn't really learn ANYTHING about their wines. And sadly, I wasn't that impressed with them.

No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.