Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ingleside's Fall Barrel Tasting

So Saturday was Ingleside's Fall Barrel Tasting.  Jim was not home so I was seriously contemplating not going this time around.  The drive was a serious consideration for me.  I wasn't sure I wanted to do the 2.5 hour drive by myself.  Plus I didn't want to be by myself.  

But after a quick call to the winery I discovered many of my friends would be there.  So I gassed up the car, grabbed a cool drink and headed out.  And am I ever so glad I did!

The drive was gorgeous!  The fall foliage was beautiful.  Traffic was light and the temperature was lovely.  So I did not arrive a grouchy person due to traffic.  And I was able to catch up with a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time.  Always something to put a smile on your face.

A barrel tasting is a wonderful event to attend.  You get to try wines directly from the barrel and normally you'll meet the winemaker himself.  At Ingleside the wine maker, Bill Swain, and assistant wine maker, Maria Swain, were manning the barrels.  They are a husband and wife team.   Every barrel tasting is different.  I was delighted with their selection this time.  They did varietals from 2007 that were off the beaten track.  They did Chaumborcin, Touriga, Tannat and Malbec.  Something that you might not normally find.  So you got something new to try.  And they were all reds.  My favorites were the Touriga and Malbec.

Afterwards I went to the Riverboat in Colonial Beach with my friends for a late dinner.  I was smart and brought my camera.  Unfortunately I left it in the car for most of the day.  Oops!  And I missed out on some very nice photo opportunities.  But I thought I'd share this photo of our buddies Linda, Andrea and Melanie.  And these fine ladies all work at Ingleside.  And are tons of fun.  Linda didn't work the barrel tasting.  Instead she and I were tasting.  It was great fun!

No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.