Friday, March 28, 2008

So what's it like...

I get questions about what it's like to be in the Navy. What is it like to live at sea? What do you do exactly? They are all very good questions. I wish I was better at describing what I do exactly. Mainly, because I think there is an every increasing divide between those who chose to serve in the military and those who chose other paths, much to the detriment of both sides.

The "Destroyermen" blog is attempting something that may help bridge the divide. The Executive Officer and some of the crew of USS RUSSELL (DDG 59) have put together a blog to describe life aboard USS RUSSELL while deployed overseas. Operational security will be a factor in describing where they are at and what they are doing exactly, but that's minor. If they can show what life is like for the Sailors of RUSSELL then I think the blog can be called a success.

http://destroyermen.blogspot.com/

I thought the "A Captain, But No Company" post was very enlightening. 

(USS RUSSELL is an ARLEIGH BURKE-class Aegis guided missile destroyer. It is very similar to the ship I'm supposed to go to later this year. Some information about these destroyers can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke_class_destroyer . It's Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. Usually the good information from Wiki comes from the linked sources at the bottom of the page.)

2 comments:

JA3 said...

My fave site for accurate public info about ships, planes, etc. is the Navy Fact File.

Michelle and Jim said...

Doh! I totally forgot about the Fact File.

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.