Saturday, May 24, 2008

A View Of Downtown Newport, RI

Today Jim and I went to downtown Newport. I know what were we thinking? I mean it's Memorial Day weekend! The tourists are starting to come out so things are getting busier. We must be nuts. But we had a really nice time. It was lovely weather. Sunny, but not hot. I could go for weather like this 365 days a year, as long as it was not as windy as it was today. We had lunch at The Smokehouse Cafe and were able to people watch while eating our lunch and drinking a beer. Jim took the pictures. I merely pointed out some things that might be neat to have pictures of and then downloaded and cropped them. We were even able to catch up with some friends.


The first is a picture of the Newport harbor. Can't have a picture of a harbor town without the harbor. The second one is a picture of the Newport bridge from a park. We'll try to get a night version of this one sometime soon.


The first one is another shot of the harbor, but you can see some of the shops and in the distance the steeple of the Anglican church. The second one is a close up of the Anglican church steeple. I don't know what my thing is with church's and their architecture. Luckily my husband is willing to let me amuse myself with it.


Another shot of the harbor with all the boats that are docked. Can you tell Jim loves the ocean? It's the sailor in him. And hey summer is almost here so it's very appropriate. The second is another 'city shot'. The Seaman's Church is to the right and I believe the Red Parrot restaurant is in the middle.


I thought this was a lovely shot of an anchored sailboat near a tiny lighthouse. Even if I am sick and tired of lighthouses myself. There are tons of sailboats in this area, just no one seemed to be out and about. For anyone who's seen Family Guy you'll understand the second picture. We got a chuckle out of it. If you haven't seen the show. . . Google it!


This is the Old State house and it is where they did shoot a bit from the movie Armistead. They did a lot to the surrounding area to make it look like it did back then. Covered the streets in sand and removed anything that wouldn't have been in the time frame. For example street lights and and meters. And of course another harbor view. Hey we are in a harbor city!

-Michelle

No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.