Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Chowder Cook Off

Apparently I was remiss in not posting about the Chowder Cook Off on the 7th of this month and have been properly scolded.  I had thought that someone else would be posting about this, but never did.  I don't like repeating myself, because then no one will want to read my blog, but at least with this post you'll get pictures.  Yes, I'm whining a bit here.  So this one's for Colten.  There were a group of four people dressed as pirates wandering around.  The other two were somewhere else when I snapped this.  I wanted the older guy because me made me think of Pops for some reason.  
As you can see they did have a live band playing, which I guess is a good thing, if they're good.  And Schweppes ginger ale was the sponsor.  They were handing out free baby cans of the ginger ale to everyone.  We arrived early so didn't have to deal with too many people.  

As the day progressed more people showed and it got hotter.  We were glad we'd gotten there early to sample the chowders, even though the rude people were already out there in force. I mean how dare we stand in line to get our sample of chowder and then look at them in such a way when they cut in front of us.  Don't we know how important they are?  And this happened
a lot! And it was mostly from the forty and over crowd.  I don't ever want to hear older people bitch about how the younger generation has no manners.
There were three different categories.  There was best clam chowder, best seafood chowder and creative chowder category.  Here's a picture of one of the chowder competitor's.  The last category was pretty weird and we only liked one.  We saw a number of our friends.
This is just one of the shots of the crowd.  As you can see, a lot of people stayed near the water in the hopes of cooling off.  Jim took this near the end of the day when the crowds started getting thicker.  This is about the time we realized we needed to leave.  Jim and I both got a bit too much sun and when we headed out there was a huge line to get into the chowder fest.  If you click the following link you can see who the winners were.

Now in order to be truly from the area you have to pronounce it properly.  So drop the r.  Call it chowdah!  Chowdah!  Say it Frenchie!

-Michelle

No comments:

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.