Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Credit Card Scam Alert!

I recently got a call from an unnamed source. The machine on the other end was promising a lower interest rate on my credit card. All I had to do was give them my credit card info.

Of particular interest was the number on my caller ID. The first three numbers were 011. Some of you will immediately recognize that's not an area code, it's a country code. I know from spending a lot of time there, this particular country code is Bahrain, a small island nation in the Persian Gulf.

Bahrain is very friendly with the United States. There are many good people there; however, I am very suspect that either of my credit card companies would use Bahrain as a point of origin for contacting me about lower interest rates.

Bahrain is also a very open nation when it comes to finances. They allow money to be wired all over the Middle East, including to places like Iran.

Today, I read that terrorist are using credit card fraud to fund their activities. I'm no detective, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, I'm willing to entertain the possibility this particular scam was terrorist related.

Be on the look out!

1 comment:

neilinda said...

Michelle,
Sorry to tie up your blog with this... i tried to send it via email yesterday, but got a notice this AM that it wasn't going through.
So, i thought i'd try this, on the off chance you'd see it (and have a suggestion) before we leave.

Tomorrow evening (now later today) we're taking our son to another concert at The Norva.
It's our plan to cross the Potomac and then from Dahlgren continue down Rt. 301 to Port Royal, turn (left) onto RT. 17...
Take it through Tappahannock all the way down to York county, and then once we pass Yorktown... turn left on Rt. 105 (the turn to Ft. Eustis) and jump up on to Rt 64 and take that over to Norfolk.
Remembering that it is Friday afternoon, and the weather (down here) is pretty good...
Do you think another route would work better?
Also, once we go through the bridge tunnel, do you have any 'good', easy ways to get to The Norva.
We got there okay last time with their directions, but i don't think it was the quickest, easiest way to get there.
Thanks for any help you can give us...

:)
---linda

A Peek At Us

Virginia
Two really cool froods who always know where their towels are.